• 2.0.41 (Mac)
This is the Golden Release version.
• Fixed a bug which caused populations running in Demo mode to fail to replay exactly.
• 2.0 BETA (Mac)
This was mostly a major "under the hood" revision that provides a flexible and powerful foundation for future feature enhancements, but there are some changes that will provide immediate benefits. Major code optimizations make everything run faster with larger world sizes. The speed increase also allowed us to replace the previous pre-evolved ancestor organism with the standard simple replicator ancestor used in the research version of Avida. Following are some of the other noticable improvements and changes in Avida-ED 2.0:
• Drag and drop organism from Petri dish onto Organism viewer icon to open its genome directly in the organism viewer.
• Drag and drop Petri dish population icon onto Analysis viewer icon to open the current population directly in the analysis viewer.
• New animation flips the Petri dish over to show its environmental setup controls.
• New “Stats” button in Population viewer hides or reveals statistics boxes.
• Word labeled control buttons replace video icon button controls .
• Added “New” control button under Petri dish to start a new experiment.
• Fixed font display problem on mini-graph axes.
• New “Details” button hides or reveals detailed information about genome functions and operation.
• Clarified genome execution visualization by reordering the items. (Input Buffer, Registers, Stack A, Stack B, Last Output)
• Changed default for the Instruction Details boxes to be hidden to avoid distraction for novice users. Disclose triangle reveals these.
• Word labeled control buttons replace video icon button controls.
• Added “Reset” button to view the genome execution again with new random mutations.
• Fixed font display problem on timeline axis.
• Added an icon for the offspring genome to allow dragging and dropping to save offspring to the freezer.
• Fixed font display problem on graph axes.
• Replaced thick/thin/dotted data plotting lines for multiple populations with eight color options.
• Code optimizations significantly increased the run speed.
• Increased default world size to 60x60 (from 30x30).
• New ancestor organism (simple replicator).
• New Populated Dish example - evolved to 5000 updates.
• Added a “Freezer” menu item for redundant controls to save items to the freezer.
• Simplified the File controls for exporting data .
• Simplified the File controls for saving graphics in different formats, allowing more control of what is exported.
• 1.2.0 (Mac & PC)
• Updated OS X version to work with 10.6 (Snow Leopard) and 10.7 (Lion).
• Fixed font display problem in Population mini-graph and Analysis graph.
• Updated PC version to work with Windows 7.
• Multidish BETA (Mac)
• Experimental "Multi-dish" version of Avida-ED released that allows multiple dishes with different environmental settings to be stitched together.
• 1.0.1 (Mac)
2 November 2007.
• Updated OS X version to run natively on new Intel Macs.
• 1.0 (Mac & PC)
19 June 2007.
Avida-ED was officially released for public distribution at the Society for the Study of Evolution meeting in Christchurch, New Zealand.
• OS X v. 10.4 (Tiger)
• Windows XP